Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Playing With the Cello





Charlotte likes to play with her cello.  As in, the cello becomes a playmate.  Waiting for Solomon and Nova to finish orchestra rehearsal last winter, the cello got dressed like a snowman.  Sometimes Aria pretends to be a very special kind of human cello (I think she mostly likes to hide in the case, which is just her size.) On the way to Charlotte's cello concert last spring, I overheard the following conversation:

Charlotte: Hello Cello

Cello: music sounds

Charlotte: I like Happy Farmer and May Song.  

Cello: music sounds

Charlotte: We are going to play Happy Farmer today.  

Cello: music sounds 

Charlotte: What do you like to play?  

Cello: music sounds

Charlotte: I like harmonics too. 

Cello: music sounds 

Charlotte: What is your favorite color?

Cello: music sounds

Charlotte: Between orange and red.  That's nice, I like those colors too.

Cello: music sounds

Charlotte: My favorites are green, blue, silver and purple.  

Cello: music sounds

Charlotte: What is your favorite thing to do? I know, I bet it's playing music, right?

Cello: music that sounds like 'no, no, no, no, no'

Charlotte: It's NOT?!

Cello: music sounds 

Charlotte: You like to be put away in your case?  What to do you like about it?  

Cello: music sounds 

Charlotte: Mom, she said she likes the soft velvet inside and the chance to rest and take a nap.  

What is your second favorite?  Playing music? NO?

Cello: music sounds 

Charlotte: Getting your end pin pulled out?  Why?  Does it tickle?  

Cello: music sounds

Charlotte: She said it's like a massage.

Cello: music sounds

Charlotte: Oh, I see.  She was just kidding, her favorite thing to do is play harmonics.  The other two are her second and third favorite.

And here they are, playing Happy Farmer by Robert Schumann (Note: this is from her group class a few weeks before the recital.  If I find the video of the recital, I'll put it up).










No comments:

Post a Comment