Search This Blog

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Caitlin's Wedding



On the most beautiful tax day I can remember, my cousin Caitlin got married.  Longtime readers of this blog may notice that I have already blogged about my cousin Caitlin's wedding.  I have two cousins named Caitlin.  (Not all that improbable with twenty first cousins--and they are on different sides of the family).

The church, though not far from our house, was one I had not visited before.   Dark wooden gothic beams spanned a seemingly impossibly large space.  White plaster walls stood out in stark contrast.  An elaborate pipe organ and stained glass windows gave it an elegant, turn of the (last) century feel.  We were seated next to Caitlin's dance teacher from childhood.  Her husband was the minister.

I wish I could remember the reading. It was an unusual reading.  But I liked it.
As part of the ceremony Caitlin and David planted a tree.  A daring move in a white dress, but a beautiful part of the ceremony.  It took the place of a unity candle.

After vows and rings had been exchanged friends and family greeted the new couple on the steps on our way out of the church.

The reception was in the Central Library.  Thoughtful library-themed bookmarks and little notebooks directed us to our tables.  Though I've been to this library many times, I'd never been in this wing.  Thousands of books lined the two-story walls. Classic library ladders lead up to clear glass catwalks halfway up for added access, and then more ladders.  Giant Ming vases rested on the stone floor.

Over dinner we caught up with cousins, and met Johnny, who had recently married into the family (this side of the family has had more small/elopement type weddings than not).  I also found out about my cousin Frank's new business venture, an organic CSA on the family farm.  

My uncle Bob gave yet another memorable father of the bride speech.  He started off with the daring assertion that he had a bone to pick with his new son-in-law because he had not asked permission to marry his daughter, but went on to explain how, in fact, they were perfect for each other and had his blessing.  Not a job I envy, but one he does very well.

Some of us hit the dance floor, but I admit, I felt a wee bit worried I would bump into one of those towering Ming vases, and left it to the younger set (how quickly the mid-thirties switch from feeling young to feeling, at the very least, middle aged).  

The night wound down sipping coffee among the stacks with my parents, sister, cousins, aunts and uncles.  I have never felt so elegant in a library.  We were having such a good time, I felt I could have stayed all night.




No comments:

Post a Comment