Search This Blog

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Mother=Costume Designer?!


One aspect of having kids (especially having a lot of kids) that I never anticipated was how many 'ensembles' I would be responsible for.  I don't mean everyday clothes, though I am responsible for that too.  I am talking about those special occasions where everyone needs to look a certain way all at once--a cousin's wedding, a family portrait, a great grandparent's funeral etc.


I never paid too much attention to fashion, never really developed a personal style.  My sister, on the other hand actually is a costume designer.  She has designed for plays, movies, and even circus acts.  As a teenager she frequently had every single fashion magazine available that month in her bedroom.  So maybe I was doing that polar opposite sibling thing where I completely avoided a skill she was good at.



 Maybe not (we did both design our own prom dresses, which our mother graciously sewed) but the point is, now I have to think about these things.


Coordinating amateur family photos is a whole other topic.  Three out of four were on board.  Don't forget about shoes!  (It was still boot weather outside, in my defense, but not for long).



Now I have more respect for needing to coordinate six outfits for variable weather on short notice (at times mine has had to be maternity, or nursing friendly), or finding three blue dresses without distracting patterns (there is hardly any garment harder to find for an eight year old girl--the only options were school uniform, or flower girl).


While I have always made a point of making sure I have one good dress outfit for Spring/Summer (usually acquired around Easter) and one for Fall/Winter (the timing for this is pre-Thanksgiving), there are still gaps.  Shoes and socks need close attention year round.  Spring and Fall call for good sweaters or light jackets.  Hair must be considered for the girls.

                           
One of my favorite nursing tops, at a wedding with six-month-old Ariadne

Is this all hoity-toity nonsense?  I used to think so.  But the stress of having to pull this all together at the last minute is a real thing.  It is not worth the struggle of trying to 'make something work' the night before a big event.  While I might be able to do that for myself, I simply can't expect that to work for four kids.  And no one likes to feel self-conscious about their clothing, or feel like it doesn't fit.  

This coming weekend we have a wedding coming up.  But for once, I am only in charge of my own clothes.  All the kids are in the wedding!  Here's a sneak peak.















No comments:

Post a Comment