Search This Blog

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Madeline Island Camping Trip!

Okay folks, there are lots of pictures in this post, and a couple videos too.









In mid-August, we packed the car to the gills, squeezed ourselves in, and took off for Madeline Island.  Though the ride was long and arudous, fraught with construction and bored babies, we made it!  Dinner in Bayfield was a special treat.  The girls got to dance to an old fashioned Juke Box.  Wake Up Little Suzie, La Bamba (?), and my favorite, Summertime by Billy Holiday.


The ferry ride to Madeline Island was one of the highlights.  We caught a special 8:30 run--just at sunset.  

Waiting...



This photo was taken by a fellow passenger who has been going to Madeline Island for fifty summers!  (I must also say, she didn't look much older than fifty herself).

We camped at Big Bay Town Park, then went to the Big Bay State Park (just next door) for the day.

Our campsite, #17
Solomon loved starting and tending fires

Ariadne and I were in a separate tent.  The first night I heard the loud snuffling of a rather large animal, very close to our tent.  I was a little scared.  I called to Charles but he didn't wake up.  I finally plucked up the courage to see what it was, and it was something very large--Charles!


Magic and The Birchbark House by Louis Erdrich, which takes place on Madeline Island








The beach was wonderful!  And I can now say I've swum in Lake Superior.  It was crystal clear, shallow, and not that cold.  The sand was as fine as what I remember from the Carribean.  We could have stayed all day.  Here's what the others had to say about the beach.




Our trip to Madeline Island was all too short.  After two nights, we broke camp, took the ferry back and hit the road.   




















No comments:

Post a Comment