Search This Blog

Monday, September 16, 2019

Baby/Toddler Gear ages 1-2

Awhile back, I wrote a post about baby gear for the first year.  It was fun.  It was a trip down memory lane.  It was a bit of a historical document, given that we started this whole baby thing 14 years ago, and a few things (like recommendations on starting solid food, for example), have changed.  Anyway, here's what we found essential for 12-36 months.

PS There were meant to be so many more toddler photos here but my electronic filing system leaves something to be desired.  I figure it is better publish what I have than leave it in draft mode forever.

 A high chair



Baby Gates

Baby backpack/soft carrier on the back

Stroller

Baby Bjorn bib (or similar)

Baby Bjorn Little Potty (or similar)

Cloth Diapers and Covers

Reusable swim diaper

Wet Sack for outings

Underwear!

Car Seat

MPR/A Good Book Club (for me)


Snow Suits!


Robeez boots (for Nova, these were the only ones we could keep her from kicking off).  Pictured on Ariadne.



Baby Dishes (These saw the most use this year)

Toys

Blocks


Stuffed Animals (not too many)





A ball

   

Books


A toddler bed?  Nova was all about getting her very own bed, the others not so much.  

Day time and Night time clothes--before age one all outfits seem to blend, as did night and day for the small person wearing them.




Soft soled shoes--we liked robeez, because they stayed on the best.  See Kai Run was our first brand of soft soled shoes that also had a rubber tread.  It very well may be these brands have been replaced by others at this point, but the concept remains the same.

Fridge/freezer lock--Charlotte pushed us to level up our child/baby proofing.  She was mobile at 7 months--nearly half a year before her older siblings.  She as also better at getting into things--nimble little fingers. 

Cabinet lock

Outlet Covers

Screen Door Lock--Ariadne in particular liked heading outside whenever the spirit moved her. 

Kids' Music--I swore I would not play 'kid music' way back when I just had a tiny baby.  Why not just play them good adult music? I  thought.  If that is what I raise them on they should be just as happy.  Nope.  Wrong.  When Solomon was 13 months old, we made it the last four hours of the drive from Tulsa to Minneapolis only by playing 'Raffi Song' (The More We Get Together) on repeat.  He wouldn't even consent to the whole album.  Just that one song! Other favorites include Lauri Berkner and The Okee Dokee Brothers.  Ariadne is our outlyer here. She likes hard rock and always has.  When I switched from 'Sex and Guns and Rock and Roll' to a Beatles ballad, She screamed and yelled for me to turn it back--though she might have been three at the time of this incident.

Books on CD--These days this might also include kids podcasts.  The library is great source.  This makes car trips SO much better.  We usually get a mix of picture books that come with the actual book and one or two novels of general interest, alternating as attention span allows.  We handed back the book when we thought the kid was old enough to keep it in one piece.. 

Pencils, crayons and paper--Drawing time!  With our first it snuck up on me.  I remember asking my mother-in-law  "Do you mean I can give an 11 month old writing implements--won't he eat them??"  (She is a family practice doctor and so has some expertise here).  Turns out, with direct supervision, drawing was a great activity for 1-2 year olds.  They scribbled, drew shapes, and eventually people and letters.  Three sided crayons and pencils are great for promoting the 'proper' grip.  However, pencil grip seems to be very personal.  My two youngest had a picture perfect grip well before age 2, while my 12 year old still prefers more of an overhand grip.  But gets by just fine.  (I will add proof if I get a hold of her drawing file).










No comments:

Post a Comment