Search This Blog

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Charlotte's Sixth Birthday




Charlotte's birthday was the day after I returned from New York.  Charles took me the the ER to address my broken arm, and Grandma Roberta came and spent the day with the kids.  She was prepared!  Along with her came chocolate cupcake mix and some lovely pink frosting, and presents. As far as I can tell, Charlotte had a great birthday, despite the fact that Charles and I were tied up at the ER for what felt like most of the day.  That evening we opened some presents--games, Legos, and a 'ginormous' coloring pad. 


We celebrated with the rest of the family the following weekend, on what Charlotte affectionately called her ValenBirthday, because it was Valentine's Day (having been born within a week of Valentine's Day this may have been inevitable).  So, as we did with Ariadne's first birthday and Easter, we split the day.



Morning was Valentine's--breakfast was oatmeal with raspberries and chocolate chips.  We had tea and a big bouquet of tulips on the table as well.  I'd ordered them online along with the rest of the groceries (an adaptation for having a broken arm), and luckily they'd sent red. Getting this all together with a broken arm was a little tricky, but not too bad--I wanted to surprise everyone else.



Solomon helped me frost the cake for later on in the day, as frosting a cake one handed was beyond me.  He did quite well.  Once we got to Granne and Grandpa John's house, Charlotte did the rest of the decorating.  It was based on the Spirit Cake from the Avatar Kora cartoon series.  We found a recipe here.  Grandpa John had the meal all ready to go.  I believe Charlotte requested broccoli cheese soup and ham sandwiches.









  








Ironically, Charlotte had requested a skating birthday party back in December, long before I knew I would break my arm ice skating.  We found a rink with a party room, skate rental, and an weekend open skate not too far away.  This time around Charlotte wanted a junior mint cake.  Again, she decorated it herself.  The frosting was mint flavored and the cake chocolate, with junior mints and mint leaves on top.




Charles and most of the other parents skated with the kids.  I hung out in the penalty box and did my best to take pictures.  




Some of Charlotte's friends came from seasoned hockey families.  Others were more or less new to ice skating.




Charles was our on-ice parent, helping Aria around the rink.









 We wrapped up the party with cake, hot chocolate and gift opening. A figure skater took the ice just as the party was ending.  A number of the kids watched transfixed from the bleachers.  Then out came the Zamboni to resurface the ice, which they also considered a worthy spectacle.








































No comments:

Post a Comment