Search This Blog

Monday, September 2, 2013

Rock Climbing With Nova


Way back in April, I signed Nova and myself up for rock climbing through the Minnesota State Park's I Can Climb program.  The actual date was just last weekend--we got of the last spots.  We try to do something one on one with each of the older kids about once a month.  Sometimes we simply go to the coffee shop up the street...but other times it is something more unusual.  These outings have been dubbed 'Mommy Time' or 'Daddy Time.'  This was one of those special 'Mommy Times.'

We started off with a couple treats from Amore, our favorite coffee shop. From there, we made use of the long drive to Taylor's Falls to chat and catch up.  After checking out the famous potholes at Interstate State Park in Taylor's Falls, it was time to start climbing!  We geared up, along with about ten other people, mostly kids.  Equipment and instructors were provided by Vertical Endeavours.  There were four different climbs.  I started with one that was supposed to be medium difficulty of the four (though they were all "easy" according to our instructors).  Nova started with the one they had pointed out as the hardest.



Can you see her way up there?




Nova getting a high five from her belayer Jeff after a particularly hard climb


She made it all the way.  I got about 2/3 of the way up--felt satisfied with myself, mystified about how to continue, and thoroughly exhausted.  After a little convincing, my belayer finally believed that I was ready to come down.  While I caught my breath, Nova did several more climbs, eventually making it to the top of every one.  I completed the easiest climb, and got 3/4 the way up the first climb Nova had done before the afternoon was out.  It was our first experience climbing outside on real rock--quite a different experience.  It was far more challenging to plot a rout, but the views from the top were that much more rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment